Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Hello everyone!

This blog is inspired by my new cello student, Teddy.

Teaching is a very inspirational experience for me, because the concept of passing on my passion for music to someone else I find very exciting. It is such a rich experience, watching someone else begin on the same path that I am following, and being there to help and be a part of it.

Of course, along with teaching comes a rather important set of responsibilities. As a teacher I have substantial influence on my student’s first introduction to music, and it is crucial that this introduction be a positive experience.

As luck would have it, Teddy and I seem to have “hit it off.” She is ten years old and came to me with no experience playing any instruments and no knowledge of how to read music, but in just three weeks time, her progress has skyrocketed. She now has perfect understanding of bass clef and basic rhythms, and can play “Twinkle” almost fluently, and from memory! Not only this, but she is also enthusiastic about playing the cello and asks relevant, interesting questions. What a rewarding process!

I also am a bit nostalgic when it comes to teaching because I am reminded time and again of my first teacher, Erica, who is responsible for making my first introduction to music and the cello wonderfully fun and encouraging. I hope to give Teddy as positive an experience as Erica gave me, so that she will continue with the cello even after I leave for Indiana! (But hopefully she will play for me over winter break. J )

No comments:

Post a Comment